Lots of fry

I have plenty of time to work in the fishroom in fall and winter.  In spring and summer I'm working like mad and spend virtually no time at all with the fish.  I try to shut down as many tanks as possible, and keep only hardy species that can live with neglect for part of the year.  Also the annual killifish are great for me, since many of the species I keep incubate for 5 months or more.

It's the time of year where I routinely get into my fishroom, clean the tanks, get the fish back on a regular feeding regimen, and start hatching eggs of annual killifish.  I've had some pretty successful hatches so far:
Nothobranchius rachovii Nhangau MT 03-4
Nothobranchius rachovii Panda MZCS 08-81
Nothobranchius rachovii Quelimane MOZ 04-9
Nothobranchius furzeri Mazimechopes River MOZ 04-13
Nothobranchius sp. Caprivi Salambala NA 07-1
Nothobranchius hassoni Buckeya DRCH 08-10
Nothobranchius guentheri

I usually hatch a number of other species a little earlier, but this summer has been far too busy for fish.  I've lost a number of species due to the eggs going too far past their hatching window.  Some were a little hard to obtain, but it obviously wasn't meant to be.  I'll be concentrating mainly on species with a longer incubation period from here on out.

Comments

Popular Posts